Maryland unveils designs for rebuild of collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge

Nearly a year after Baltimore鈥檚 Francis Scott Key Bridge fatally collapsed following a barge collision, Maryland Governor Wes Moore has unveiled a new design concept for its replacement.

Image: Office of the Governor of Maryland/ Key Bridge Rebuild

At a press conference this week, the Maryland Department of Transportation said that the replacement bridge, which will be the state鈥檚 first cable-stayed bridge, will be better protected against ship strikes and could be completed as soon as 2028.

Maryland state officials said that the DoT had last month finalised the design for the new bridge with progressive design-builder Kiewit Infrastructure and the general engineering consultant team led by WSP.

It added that the project will move forward with final design and regulatory approvals before construction starts.

The 366-meter main span of the 1970s-built steel arch continuous truss bridge collapsed into the Patapsco River on March 26 last year after one of its supports was struck by the DALI, a Singapore-flagged cargo ship. As a result, six construction workers who had been carrying out maintenance work were killed.

鈥淭oday, we take an important step toward recovering from the tragic Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse that has affected not just Maryland鈥檚 economy, but the nation鈥檚 economy,鈥� said Govrnor Moore. 鈥淲hile we mark the unveiling of the new bridge design, we continue to honor the six Marylanders who lost their lives while serving our state, and their families who carry their legacy forward. Together, we will show the world what it means to be Maryland Tough and Baltimore Strong.鈥�

Officials added that the State of Maryland is continuing to pursue a legal claim against the DALI鈥檚 owner and manager for the damages caused including the costs of reconstructing the Francis Scott Key Bridge which are thought to stand at around US$1.7 billion.

At the press conference, the governor also announced the state would invest $15 million in the Tradepoint Atlantic鈥檚 Terminal Container Project, which aims to increase container capacity by 70%.

必赢体育

STAY CONNECTED

Receive the information you need when you need it through our world-leading magazines, newsletters and daily briefings.

CONNECT WITH THE TEAM
Andy Brown Editor, Editorial, UK - Wadhurst Tel: +44 (0) 1892 786224 E-mail: [email protected]
Neil Gerrard Senior Editor, Editorial, UK - Wadhurst Tel: +44 (0) 7355 092 771 E-mail: [email protected]
Catrin Jones Editor, Editorial, UK 鈥� Wadhurst Tel: +44 (0) 791 2298 133 E-mail: [email protected]
Eleanor Shefford Brand Manager Tel: +44 (0) 1892 786 236 E-mail: [email protected]